Sweet And Hot Eggplant With Mango And Noodles Recipe
Crispy golden eggplant, ripe sweet mango, and crisp Tenderstem® broccoli combined with chewy noodles, all coated in a delectably tangy sweet chilli sauce. A profusion of vibrant fresh herbs, chopped peanuts for an extra layer of crispiness, and a liberal burst of zesty lime come together to create an irresistible and appetizing weeknight dinner option.
100g (scant ½ cup) sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp tamari
a handful of mint
a handful of coriander (cilantro)
75g (½ cup) peanuts
a thumb of ginger
2 eggplants (aubergines)
200g (2 cups) Tenderstem® broccoli
250g (2 cups) Biona spelt Asia noodles
- Start by filling a pan with water and placing it on the stove. Let it come to a boil. In a small bowl, mix the sweet chili sauce and tamari sauce together. Set this bowl aside. Chop the mint leaves and coriander leaves and put them in a separate bowl. Roughly chop the peanuts and set them aside.
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger. For less heat, you can remove the white pith from the chili and slice it thinly. Cut the eggplants into 2cm (¾in) chunks. Prepare the broccoli by trimming the dry ends and cutting thick stems in half lengthwise.
- Peel the mango, then cut the fleshy cheeks away from the stone and slice them thinly. Do the same with the remaining mango flesh.
- Heat a deep frying pan or wok over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of oil, along with the sliced ginger and chili. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes until they turn golden and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to take out the ginger and chili, and place them in a small bowl.
- Keep the wok on the heat, add 1 tbsp more oil, and put in the eggplant chunks. Stir-fry them for 8-10 minutes until they become soft and turn golden on most sides.
- While the eggplant is cooking, put the noodles and broccoli into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain them and quickly rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Let them drain in a colander.
- Add the sweet chili and tamari sauce to the wok. Put in the cooked noodles, broccoli, and most of the mango slices. Toss everything together to mix. Add a touch of salt and pepper to season. Take the wok off the heat.
- Mix half of the chopped herbs into the noodles. Divide the noodle and vegetable mixture onto four warm plates or bowls. Top them with the remaining herbs, mango slices, peanuts, and the crispy chili and ginger. Serve immediately with lime wedges for squeezing over.
- When you’re cooking green veg, try not to cover the pan with a lid. Cooking green veg with the lid on can make them go grey.